The Bay Area Climbers Coalition has been partnering with the amazing folks at CLIF Bar since we started this organization. Everyone that we have worked with at CLIF Bar has been super passionate about stewardship and volunteering within the community. So when they approached us about doing a larger volunteer work day for 50 employees we were over the moon excited to work with them.
A big part of being a true partner with land managers is to listen…odds are you will hear about challenges they are having that you might be able to help out with, even when they have nothing to do with improving the climbing areas of a park. Remillard Park in Berkeley has some great top-roping and boulder problems, but the major work that needed to be taken on at this park was not in the climbing areas directly.
The 50+ CLIF Bar employees that volunteered their morning with us helped to make some major improvements to Remillard Park, including:
– removing blackberry bushes from the ivy on the hillsides
– clearing out broken glass, trash, and green matter from the sand in the kiddy play area
– trimming the ivy back from the pathways around the kiddy play area
– clearing the pathways and stairs around the kiddy play area of weeds and other invasive plant species
– weeding and trimming of bushes from fencing and pathways around park
– clearing of green matter from trails around back of rock
– clearing of trash and broken glass from trails around back of rock
– fixing of cross-slope on trails around back of rock
HUGE “thank you” to all the CLIF Bar employees that came out to crush all of this work in under 3 hours!