The Bay Area Climbers Coalition (BACC) is a volunteer-run 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization working to preserve access to local outdoor areas through stewardship, community building, and educational programming.
Our objective is bring together individuals and organizations in the San Francisco Bay Area interested in protecting and caring for our local climbing resources, including:
- Land managers from city, county, state, and national parks
- Non-profit partners such as the Access Fund, American Alpine Club, and regional climbing and mountaineering clubs
- Local businesses, including climbing gyms and outdoor retail stores
- Outdoor brands with a local presence, from widely-recognized international labels to local boutique companies
- And, most importantly, climbers!
We do this through collaboration with land managers and partner organizations, volunteer stewardship events at our local crags, and social and educational events all over the Bay Area.
Through our focus and work we acknowledge that there are many types of barriers that prevent equitable access to our local climbing areas, and they all deserve to be addressed. While unified outdoor access and the sport of rock climbing may appear equally accessible to all, we acknowledge the widespread systems of classism, racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, ageism, xenophobia and other forms of oppression that obstruct the opportunity for all to participate. There are many individuals and organizations that are leading the way in the effort to break down these barriers. The BACC is committed to partnering with and supporting these individuals and organizations while also taking action to help the Bay Area climbing community progress towards equitable access for all to our local climbing areas.